Varthanis

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:06:33 +1200

Mike Cule:

>Sun County owns/operates an entire quarter of New Pavis.

No, it doesn't. A quarter of Pavis worships Yelmalio, which is something completely different. Whether that quarter respects Sun County or not depends on the politics of the time.

>I don't believe
>it would be there if Sun County wasn't in on the city from the start.

Fortunately KoS says otherwise. It explicitly states:

         "The number of converts quickly grew, and Monrogh organized
         a band under Varthanis Brighthelm to accompany Tarkalor's
         kinsman, Dorasar, to the ancient city of Pavis.  He was so
         much more popular than Dorasar (and successful against the
         trolls) that half the surviving tribes asked him to lead them.
                         KoS p197.

The number of the Yelmalions at Pavis is hence a product of the popularity and anti-troll prowess of Varthanis himself rather than any folks downstream. Do the good folks of Sun County look as though they care about trolls? Could they even handle them?

Thus I think it clear that the Pavisite Sun Quarter and Sun County are two different communities that worship the same god. One a vulgar community of street toughs (nobody in Sun County would have risen to the top with a history of bar-room homicides) while the other a aloof inbred community of chinless wonders.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest