God-Learners

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:22:58 +1200

John Hughes:

>I'm not sure how the Godlearners are structuralists, and would be interested
>in an example.

I would have thought that their creation of a standardized mythology was a fairly good example.

>Structuralist approaches to myth got dumped in the real world
>because they tell absolutely *nothing* about the myth and its utility to the
>people who create, modify and preserve it. (Mind you, lack of real world
>utility hasn't stopped the Jungians, has it? :)). While the GL approach is
>similar to structuralism in this regard, it also had insights that allowed
>the myths to still *work*.

So because their approach worked in Glorantha - the God-Learners aren't structuralists? Seems a bit weak to me considering that one could argue (hypercritically) that since religions don't work here whereas they do in Glorantha, there is no comparison.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest