More languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:24:32 +1200

Keith Nellist:

> I have not considered if there was a primal language
>which, for whatever reason, went wrong. I think Zzabur would say that there
>was but that the world changed and the old language was no longer useful
>becuase it didn;t have words for the new things. I suspect Umath had some
>effect with his howling noise.

At the end of the Green Age, I think there were many different magical languages that could be considered primal. Nobody knows the Primal Language at the beginning of the Green Age.

Mind you, the definition of a language can be pretty wide. The Malkioni for example had no spoken language at the end of the Green Age but communicated mentally.

>One is Tradetalk, the language of the Middle Sea Empire, which is
>magically easy to learn and understand.

I don't think so. Written Jrusteli inscriptions are known to exist (there's a inscription to be found in the Condor's Crags) and I think the God Learners are the last people in glorantha to adopt a god's magic as the language of their empire. I don't deny Tradetalk's spread due to its usefulness to explorers but think the God Learners relied on their own special Malkioni language.

>The other is Wyrmish, more a way of thinking than a
>language but it makes communication easier, if a bit sibilant.

Since humans can't speak Wyrmish greater than 25% unaided, it's hardly a language intended for ease of communication. IMO beyond its obvious purpose to speak with dragonewts and the like, it helps people think draconically. Since dragons are capable of thinking their enemies to death, it is a major path in the Draconic Wisdom.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest