Re: Mermen are on fire?

From: Ian Gorlick <ian_gorlick_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:21:00 -0400

I'd say that it is possible for mermen to use magical fire under water, however such abilities would be very rare and expensive given the antipathy of water for fire. Few mermen would have any fire rune connection, and fewer still would have the power to summon up fire beneath the sea.

I think it far more likely that they would trade with surface dwellers for metal or ceramic goods that require fire-processing. This also provides greater scope for adventure and interaction with the merfolk.