Re: Darkness in Vithela

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 04:46:09 +0200

Nils Weinander:

> Me & Peter M:
> >
> >>Turning it the other way round, the Vithelans remember the
> >>Oorsu Sara was as almost destroying the cosmos. Why don't
> >>other cultures have anything similar in early mythical ages?
> >

> > Oorsu Sara happened at the end of the God's Cycle which is
> > the equivalent of the end of the Storm Age. At this time elsewhere,
> > the Storm Tribe was having its arse kicked at Stormfall, Malkion
> > had been exiled while the Vadeli were attacking and the Artmali
> > Empire was destroyed by Firefall. I don't think these people would
> > have noticed an ex-mystic conquering all of Vithela.
>
> But to the Vithelans it wasn't just that, but an event of
> the same scale as the great darkness to the Genertelans,
> when the very fabric of existence broke down.
>
> This whole line of pondering started off from the description
> of the otherworlds collapsing/crashing/mixing during the
> great darkness. Wouldn't such an effect be noticed in Vithela
> even if the great darkness as such wasn't? From that I could
> only notice that Vithelan myth has its own event with similar
> convulsions, but clearly not "at the same time".

I don't understand that. Oorsu Sara just wreaks great havoc and maybe destroys the cosmic order, thus preparing the following events, but aren't the Great Darkness that follow similar to the Demigods Cycle and they happening "at the same time"?

Although I don't know much about Vithela, I got the impression that in the Demigods Cycle there was awful confusion when people became unable to sort out illusions and began to worship Avanapdur or other manifestations of him/her. They can't know if they are sleeping or awake, which I'd interpret as the dead and living not being separated, in the Vithelan manner. The dreams soon turned into nightmares until Oren Parond sent Avanapdur back to the realm of dreams, and the Isles awoke at last and told themselves how the bad guy Avanapdur had been, really isolating each one of them in a realm of illusions so they lost touch with each other and couldn't know (there again, a Darkness theme). Then they regained what Mashunasan calls Group Consciousness, and fought the Antigods away, who in the meantime had taken over the world. Well, I've not read too deeply into that yet, but that's much enough to convey the idea.

In summary, the Demigods cycle was much worse than Oorsu Sara IMO.

Jerome