Re: Cosmic Duality

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:47:32 +0200

Greg :

> >> Humans, Gods and other entities are male and female
> >> because the Cosmic Duality causes them to be that way.
>
> >a) Not all entities, races, etc are subject to Cosmic Duality and/or
> >not subject to It in the same way
>
> Please allow me to ask which ones are not? I will except Mystical
> entities on the highest levels of being, as I already excepted them in
> my little essay.

I actually wrote that before reading your essay, so I *was* thinking of Mystical entities and various higher cosmic aberrations at the higher end of the scale : I was also thinking (at the lower end of the scale) of beings with more than two sexes, such as some vegetable beings, some of the merpeoples (viz. the whole ternary nature of triolini consciousness), asexual beings, hermaphroditic creatures, those with mutable gender, etc. : not *no* duality : variant duality instead of the male & female one Gian was asking about.

Of course, at the even higher level of This vs That duality (nice one BTW), exceptions become *very* hard to find ...

There's the difficult question of Cosmic Singularity, including the difficulty of saying anything not self-contradictory about it ... It's a Transcendent Essence, which means that singularities are possible in the Inner World, although of necessity in a transient* state, unless they were Chaos Voids, Holy Grails, and suchlike.

> >b) Worshippers' vision, society, etc are also subject to Cosmic
> >Duality, blurring all meaningful boundaries between question and
> >answer
>
> This is what I was saying: it's part of the duality between microcosm
> and transcendent macrocosm. Because it is not Ultimate Transcendent,
> it is always subject to duality.

Yeah, I agree : and the duality (multiplicity/complexity) is the source of the mesocosm, or Inner World, which is why the Inner World and Inner World Gloranthans are so pervasively subject to It, as Peter said ; these quibbles _almost_ exclusively notwithstanding.

> >c) No, Yes, Both, Neither, Something Else Entirely, One Day (with
> >perseverance) You Will Understand Glasshoppah, and many other
> >possible answers are all truthful ones, depending on the POV of who's
> > asking the question
>
> The Ultimate Answer is always the same.

Certainly, but Ultimate Truth isn't inside Glorantha, as related to your recent comments about Truth vs truths, and as related to the relationship between duality, macro- meso- and micro- cosm.

Yeah, the Ultimate Answer is always the same, but if you know the Answer, the Question becomes meaningless...

> >d) Greg's GREAT answer to the question :
> >Maybe one for the Q&A page at www.glorantha.com ?
>
> Good point. We will put it up.

cheers,

Julian Lord