Cultural protection from chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:39:09 +1200

Andy Howard:

[From the HeroWars list]

>Me> The crime is still one of individual chaos. Chaos only results when
> > "a person makes a passionate refusal to recognize the limits of the
> > natural and moral universe". Glorantha: Intro p33, Cults of Terror
> > p19. In other words, the focal point of entry is through the actions of
> > the Gloranthan. It is not something that a culture can absolve a person
> > from doing even through custom.

>But... ;)

>if a person isn't (as far as they are aware) making a "passionate
>refusal to recognise the limits of the natural and moral universe"
>but simply fitting in with what their culture says is OK...

The rest of the statement that I quoted from spells out what is meant by the passionate refusal. It's not something that a person can be unaware of doing.

>AND that
>culture condones actions which the rest of the world (Great
>Compromise?) says are wrong/evil/chaotic, where does the crime lie?

The only culture that can condone chaotic actions is itself chaotic.

>A clan can be magically affected by the wrong actions of an
>individual member unless (or even if) it takes the appropriate
>punitive action. I'm applying a similar principle to a culture - the
>individual is in some ways sheltered by his culture, but in turn, his
>culture takes some responsibility for his behaviour.

But the origin of chaos is different. It is not bad juju that one acquires from simply breaking a taboo, defying the gods or whatever - it is drawing upon the power of primal chaos from outside the cosmos whereas most bad juju comes from within.

--Peter Metcalfe