Beings without Dualism?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:41:19 +0000

Greg Stafford
> >> Humans, Gods and other entities are male and female
> >> because the Cosmic Duality causes them to be that way.

Julian Lord
> >a) Not all entities, races, etc are subject to Cosmic Duality and/or
> >not subject to It in the same way

Greg Stafford
> Please allow me to ask which ones are not? I will except
> Mystical entities on the highest levels of being, as I
> already excepted them in my little essay.

Entities: Apart from Androgeus, Skath and Skanth and other such joinings, I believe we have to visit the earliest Green Age, before dualism was encountered.

In Pelandan myth, that's Vogmaradan, other theists' myths aren't known for this age. In Danmalastan, the Maseren accept certain roles, but only the Paseren are the ones with clearly defined sexuality. The animists appear to have accepted the duality from the earliest beings on (Fiwan appear as normally gendered).

There are a couple of single-gender races, most of which have taken a clear role in the male/female duality (nymphs of all kinds, satyrs), and a couple of unclear cases: Hoolar, Slarge, Jelmre.

Then there are several multi-gender or hermaphroditic races, especially in the seas (dwerulan, murthoi). Great Slarge belong in this category.

And that's only gender. Practically all of these are considered to be active rather than passive in being mobile beings. Again, there might be sea creatures (sea anemones, sponges) which manage a balance there as well, but I think it's back to Green Age for all other examples.

Dragons, of course, are of the mystical entities group, and failed dragonewts do display one aspect of dualism or the other.