They are still dualities

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:01:27 -0700

At 05:50 AM 9/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
>Julian Lord
>> >a) Not all entities, races, etc are subject to Cosmic Duality and/or
>> >not subject to It in the same way
>
>Greg Stafford
>> Please allow me to ask which ones are not? I will except
>> Mystical entities on the highest levels of being, as I
>> already excepted them in my little essay.
Joerg:
>Entities: Apart from Androgeus,

Androgeus combines both sides of the gender/duality in itself, and is in no way exempt from the duality rule. Likewise for many you discussed below, such as the sea entities. They are combinations of the duality.

If Julian meant that some beings include both genders when he said "not subject in the same way" then this observation is correct. But it doesn't change my point: all beings are subject to it.

>Skath and Skanth

I do not know of these entities. Forgive this old brain. Did I write of them? If not, I am not going to try to include them in a discussion of my Glorantha.

>I believe we have to visit the earliest Green Age, before
>dualism was encountered.

The Green Age is precisely about the discovery of dualities, separatedness and differences. It is the start of differentiation. You will see that many of the stories about it are the stories of the "discovery of sex." Hence it is not an exception to the rule to say "the Green Age has no dualities." The reason people cannot go into the Green Age in its own terms is exactly because the Green Age has no differentiation. If you go there you either maintain your gender identification (as well as other differentiated self-understanding) OR you lose your gender, which means you lose your human understanding/consciousness. Both are equally dangerous to a person, hence the near-universal prohibition against going there.

>There are a couple of single-gender races, most of which have taken a
>clear role in the male/female duality (nymphs of all kinds, satyrs), and

Single gender doesn't mean they are non dual. They have gender.

>a couple of unclear cases: Hoolar, Slarge, Jelmre.

We can list any number of unclear cases but they aren't relevant.

>Then there are several multi-gender or hermaphroditic races, especially
>in the seas (dwerulan, murthoi).

See above. They have gender, just a combined or changeable gender. BTW, when discussing the sea entities we are going back into the Green Age type of understanding. Some of these sea beings were around before the Green Age and are still around, hence they seem to predate the duality. Well, they do, but they are not humans, do not have human consciousness and so on.

>Great Slarge belong in this category.

I don't know where this comes form, but much has not been told about slarges that I know and I only want to warn people about that.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>