Re: The Chaoticness of Tapping

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_admin.stedwards.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:44:39 -0500

Peter Metcalfe
>Exploring the question further - what is Tapping and why is the spell
>so prominent among the Malkioni? The Malkioni can probably think
>of other spells that are bad, yet Tapping is of great concern to them.

[snip a lot of great ideas]

        Sounds good to me. Since I normally only bicker with you, it's only right that I say thanks when you make something clearer and richer -- your explanation makes tapping a lot more interesting; abusing it becomes the perversion of a really holy thing, the regeneration of the world. It's like the Catholic (and more broadly Christian) horror of and obsession with the Black Mass; in some ways, it's the worst thing because it's messing with God's greatest rite.

        It would mean that Zzabur's Great Spell empowers a chaos god in some sense, though, wouldn't it? Or is that god the "flip side" of the spell? Or the result of God Learner misunderstandings?

         I also like Greg's explanation that the Brithini pay for tapping by being miserable people -- they have abandoned joy, pleasure, and almost everything good for increased lives and the ability to use dangerous powers....

Peter Larsen