Chaotic acts

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 13:39:51 +0200

Hum... I’m confused about the topic of chaotic acts. Sorry for my horrible, chaotic english (I hope you could read it), but I have to ask some questions:

Greg Stafford in HeroWars list

>Chaos is sometimes a thing, a component in the material world. (a broo or
>scorpion man)

>Chaos is sometimes an action, a component of the immaterial world.
>(kinstrife, tapping)

So, there are actions that are chaotic theirselves, of chaotic un-nature (or perhaps depends of the grade, as "torture for pleasure"). If somebody can perceive Chaos (an uroxi) he could see that the action itself was chaotic. Could he?

I would like to know what are these actions. Rape? torture? kinstrife? cannibalism? treason? human sacrifice? tapping? slavery? spreading disease? killing people without any reason?

Is their chaotic nature more-or less widely known (so my players know that these actions are chaotic)?

If is true that chaos is a "passionate refusal to the physic and moral limits of the universe", there are probably actions and facts that are not chaotic, but could attract chaos, depending of the circunstances (personal, cultural, social). For example, if slavery is not chaotic, it could produce in some circunstances a sort of desperation that may lead to a passionate refusal to the Cosmos. In that cases, the act wouldn’t be detected as chaotic. If it has chaotic consequences, they may be detected.

And, what about with religions that admit some of the former acts (chaotic un-nature), but hate Chaos? For example, the Galvosti tapping pagans. I know you have discussed about this, but it isn’t clear for me...

Greg Stafford,

>The Marani can "get away with it" for the same reason that Humakti can "get >away" with killing their kin: they are contained within a compartment of the >social structure that is specifically "designed" to contain them.

If the evil act is "contained", is it chaotic or not, or nobody knows?

If is contained, perhaps it’s a part of Cosmos, a bad part, but not something strange to the Cosmos (the heortlings think that the Marani are bad, or evil, but nothing strange to the Universe). If it’s so, I think there is a kind of cultural relativism about chaos (not about evil, but it is a different discussion, IMO).

And the last question:

Are Ompalam, Malia and Ikadz chaotic beings?

Peter Metcalfe said in the HeroWars list that they are not chaotic but they are included in Chaos Pantheon because they are evil.

What does it mean? I’m not sure, but I understood that some chaotic and evil beings worship these entities (e.g. Broos and Malia) and for that reason, some people consider these gods in the Chaos pantheon. Or perhaps, that the evil of these gods and their actions could attract chaos but it isn’t the rule.

I like this idea, because it’s strange to me that slavery, disease and torture were always chaotic.

Regards,

Antonio

MSN Fotos: la forma más fácil de compartir e imprimir fotos.

Haga clic aquí