Too much Chaos Fighting

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 00:46:07 +0000

El Jefe in HeroWars:

> Is it just me or with HeroWars, did Chaos become a much less
> prevalent foe? Its probably due to the fact we're not dungeon
> bashing as much and are too busy arguing with our neighbors
> about cattle raids & feuds.

Actually, while there are a few non-chaotic activities, on the whole I feel that my old mantra "roleplaying in Glorantha is not all about fighting chaos" needs to be sung louder once again. Ok, it is the Hero Wars, but the amount of activities driven by chaos which is about to affect my gaming has increased a lot.

And I don't mean Lunar magic like Tatius Mark III TotrM with this, even though its chaotic nature is somewhat manifest.

After TR and ST I had hoped for more clan games. Blood Feud offers just one aspect of that, the Year of Chaos is just a prolonged chaos bash with little chance to solve it by investigation unless you skip most of the prepared stuff (which is likely what may happen if I play this).

My current game is about relatives (the chieftain's sister married off into another clan) brought into Lunar slavery for aiding wanted rebels after their own chieftain had pointed them to a Lunar patrol. The players are about to face the legal pretext of these clan members having been exiled for this action. And yes, I play in an "enslaved" tribe, although with minimal non-Heortling cult membership. The characters - backwater Heortlings of anti-Lunar inclination - are tossed into a budding pro-Lunar group, or possibly a wily king's grand theatre to fool them while harboring rebellion.

I'm fairly content with this theme and don't need too much chaos in the Quivin mountains - after all, several generations of Heortlings here will have reduced the amount of rampaging chaos below a level as portrayed in "A Year of Chaos". At least in my game. Dragonewt foes and fellow tribe members are bad enough.