Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #198 - 14 msgs

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:53:55 -0500

Hmmm. It will be interesting to see if a partial version of this shows up -- I had a crash this morning that ate a bunch of mail, but my email program shows that I've replied....

Wesley Quadros says:

me:
>with unsavory
>
>IMO the Char-Un (and the Pentans) practise no more unsavoury practices
>than anybody else does. People seem to be fixated on a Char-Un
>propensity for rape. I don't know where this comes from.

        I certainly don't know. It seems to be received wisdom. Certainly the Char-Un as portrayed in _Tarsh War_ are ugly pieces of work.... If rape isn't so prevalent , there's still torture, needless cruelty, burnt-earth tactics, and other crimes against nature.

[snip]

>IMO this is a repuation that they have developed - in certain places -
>over centuries of fanatic service to the Goddess being used as terror
>troops in the Empire's conquests. I don't think that there is any more
>rape going on in CHar-Un homelands than there is in Glamour or Sartar

[snip]

>Don't forget that most atrocities committed by any army, including the
>Char-Un, are not done at home. They are done in somebody else's city or
>village. So if there is a general rape of somewhere the chaos that is
>birthed/grown/summoned by that act will be drawn there. By the time
>that it has manifested the Char-Un that did it is long gone.

        I hadn't thought of that -- Char-Un soldiers are as likely to "leave chaos behind them" as suffer it themselves. It's a "tactic" that might appeal to nomads. Maybe the Shaman can nominate a scapegoat to take on all the bad karma of the raiding group before they return home, keeping the nastiness away from the tribe.... On the other hand, I don't know if "psycho on the warpath, decent pillar of the community at home" is a realistic psychological profile....

Peter Larsen