Re: Chaos & chaotic acts

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:59:06 -0000

Simon Phipp :

>Was Ragnaglar's rape of Thed a chaotic act or was it an act
>that weakened the fabric of the cosmos, thus allowing Chaos in?
>After all, neither Ragnaglar nor Thed were chaotic at the time,
>they only became so afterwards. Ragnaglar was sent mad by the Sex
>Demons in the Pit, does this mean that the Sex Demons are the
>instigators of rape and hence they are strengthened? If so, where
>is the chaos, because the Sex Demons were probably not chaotic.

Thed is the goddess of rape because she chose to take on herself the full power and consequences of what had happened to her, drawing the power of it into herself, in order that she would be able to inflict it on her enemies forever more. She chose to use her children the broos as her weapon with which to do this. She became the goddess of rape voluntarily, and also became chaotic voluntarily through her participation as one of the Unholy Trio, bringing the devil into the world.

Peter Larsen :

>Metcalfe's model: Some acts are collateral worship of chaotic
deities. This
>strengthens chaos but not much, since other gods are probably
getting some
>of that worship, too. Other acts are direct worship of chaotic
deities that
>may cause observable chaotic effects. There is no way to be sure
which is
>which without a lot of pawing through myth looking for "chaotic"
actions by
>non-chaotic gods, because then it can't be caotic, can it? Chaotic
acts
>cause chaos, but, if you're just being collateral about it, you get
away
>unscathed (by chaos, at any rate).

I can't speak for Peter Metcalfe, but -

Chaotic actions by non-chaotic gods are just as likely to make them chaotic
as if they were mortals. The point is, what exactly are they doing, and
why are they doing it? Some unsavoury behaviour can be at least partly justified if it is being done for good reasons. Purely for personal survival (ogre cannibalism) is not a good reason, in order to spite one's
enemies is not a good reason (excessive torture, perhaps), purely for personal pleasure (rape) is not a good reason. Marani blood drinking is
an attempt to sustain a natural cycle, so it's immoral aspect is cushioned
by long-term altruistic goals. I don't know much about them, but I suspect
the cannibal cult don't dehumanise and objectify their victims as Ogres do,
but treat their victim's spirits with respect and so soften the effect of
what they do. They are operating in a different moral context.

Simon Hibbs