Stars and star gods

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:56:05 -0700

At 05:48 AM 9/17/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
>In a general way (GL approach), what does a god having
>a star or being visible as a star imply?

That they are a "deity of the above."

>I mean: Orlanth is not a Star/Sky God, but he has

Wait a minute: he has a star = he is a star god. Some deities have nothing going for them except they are a star. Many others have a lot more going for them and are also a star.

>Orlanth's Ring

A unique celestial body, please note, in its movement.

>(incidentally: I think that "a
>beautiful night" for an Orlanthi is a stormy night
>with just the aforementioned constellation visible
>through a barricade of huge, lightning clouds; also a
>terse day would not be a "good day", because the sun
>would be too strong to please a Stormy Barbarian;
>Heortlings should ban skin tanning and other modern
>beauty practices, preferring pale, emaciated and wet
>faces with long hairs flowing freely in the wind -no
>chignons or horse-tail hairstyle...)

I think this is going a little too far. I think that they are much like us as far as weather preferences and comfort, but that they also enjoy a big rain. After all, the Yelmites do not prefer to have blistering hot days and burnt skins.

>Rufelza is a planet, but she is not a star.

Rufelza is a unique kind of celestial body, neither a normal star, plane tor moon. She is a unique celestial body, please note, in her motionlessness.

>Praxians worship great spirits and identify them with
>various planet/stars (even if they are not sky
>spirits).

What does "identify" mean here? You seem to imply that they are not associated with that body in some way.
If they worship a celestial body and receive back some kind of power then that body IS what they worship. It might be misapplied worship, misidentified, limited or exaggerated in some way. Just because the worshippers, or we, do not understand the underlying truth or meaning does not mean they are just "identifying" with it. For instance, the Orlanthi and Yelmite worship of Mastakos/Uleria seems incompatible with each other, yet both get true worship from it and as a result there is some underlying principle that in some manner unites both concepts. People just don't understand what it is. Nor do they need to.

>A lot of water and dragon deities seem to be
>associated with stars.

A lot? Two major constellations are dragons, the River is associated with water, plus a few other little entities might be as well. I think this indicates that "as below, so above."

>But are not stars primarily connected with the Sky and

Yes, but...

>Solar gods

...I think you have erred to equate Solar with Stellar.

>(are not Stars _in_ the Sky
>Realm-otherworld

The Sky World is partially in the Center World. Look up, there it is. Like huge parts of the ordinary world it simultaneously exists in the Otherworld too.

>or are they _in_ the Heroplane)?

The Heroplane is the "mythic past" where people can go to HeroQuest. I sense you are misunderstanding the term here, because of course the sky existed in the mythic past. And it looked different.

>Is there a Star Uz God (shudder)?

Not to my understanding. They have not been in the sky and they can't even see or otherwise sense the sky. Those who worship Xentha have some knowledge of stars, but as enemies of Xentha, as her servants or terribly wounded children, but any uz worship of stars is in the "minor religion" category in my Glorantha.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>