Uz Seeing Stars

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:38:48 -0700

Greg:
>> [Uz] have not been in the sky and they can't even >> see or otherwise sense the sky.

Gian:
> surely they can see the sky because they are not
> blind? Or do you mean that because they didn't go
> there they can't perceive it?

Uz have very poor eyesight, and stars are little dots of light very far away, which share the sky (most of the week) with a bigger and brighter object (the Red Moon). I expect the most they can see is a "milky-way" kind of haze in the sky. On top of which, I expect they tend to ignore things they see which don't also show up on Darksense (i.e. they use sight to supplement their primary sense; they don't really use sight independently). They can't darksense the stars, so I expect they never really look up there.

...'sides, it's the home of Komosha Babykiller. It's bad enough that an Uz has to be right under the sky so much of the time (it's kind of like being a Jew whose apartment has a nice view of Auschwitz). Why go out of your way to look at it?

(Mind you, I expect some Uzuz can darksense the Red Moon... but they probably don't like it much.)