Re: Uz Sight

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:31:11 +0200

Greg :

> >> Not to my understanding. They have not been in the
> >> sky and they can't even
> >> see or otherwise sense the sky. Those who worship
> >
> >surely they can see the sky because they are not
> >blind? Or do you mean that because they didn't go
> >there they can't perceive it?
>
> I mean that their eyesight is such that they can not see the stars in
> the sky

I've been wondering about why Uz even have eyes in the first place, for some time now, and I've drawn a few (probably blasphemous) conclusions from UZ.

IMG their eyes developed as a defence mechanism against the Burning Death that invaded Wonderworld, so they could see Black (Good), White (Bad), and Red/Fire (Evil !!). IMG, Uz eyesight is as poor as Greg suggests, BUT it extends into the infrared spectrum (that's why IMG and in UZ they can see white, black, and red and shades in-between). The idea that they can see infrared would also help explain the poor eyesight (any heat source at all would half blind them).

I've also the idea that they'd see humans and other warm-blooded creatures (not Mostali or Aldryami !) as glowing, red, blood demons with evil, white eyes shining like candles in the middle of their vile-looking little heads ...

Mama sez : Kill the Evil red demon things, and make them into good cold meat for our babies ! ;-)

So, IMG the Uz would be able to see *some* stars and planets (a minority) : the red, hot ones. There might also be some Black Stars that they could see as distinct celestial objects (on cold nights).

Snow would also look black, not white.

Only a suggestion, not Gloranthan Facts.

Julian Lord

End of Glorantha Digest