Re: Malkioni Tree

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 18:13:49 +0100

TI:

>And what is Avlorists?

An Imperial Age sect now defunct. They were a bit like the Rokari, only more so.

>As far as I know, Theyalan Calendar spread within the boundary of MSE
>Godlearners.

Only within Theyelan lands, to my knowledge. It would be dull (and a bit difficult to believe, frankly) if the Malkioni didn't have their own calendar.

>Who made the calendar you mentions?

I've no idea. Herigian, maybe. Or Zzabur, even.

>It
>sounds to me French Revolutional Calendar.

Yes. The Malkioni are, after all, a logical people.

>(Perfectly free from the
>Paganistic

Absolutely. That's part of the point. The Malkioni, having originated in Danmalastan, the kingdom of pure logic, didn't have a pagan past to incorporate in the way that Christians did.

>-)and Christian Superstition and Cyclical Life / Death Calendar of Christ

Malkion's life, remember, was before things such as seasons really existed. Hence, no anniversaries of his life - although most saint's days are anniversaries of something, as are Ascension Day and Scriptmas (at the very least).

>/ Farming)

I wouldn't go as far as that - the names of the months are rather weather-associated.

>But I don't know well about Jewish and Muslim Calendar. (Anyway, both of
>them are Lunar Calendar ignoring the seasonal change of Solar System, alien
>to Glorantha.)

Indeed. While I've used both Jewish and Moslem calendars as inspiration for the holy days, it can't really be done with the annual cycle as a whole.

>At least, I can say peaceful state of country like Loskalm is not always
>good for game campaigns (where is the anguish to Life? and desire to
>Liberation? (my Highly Mysticism POV))

In a static Loskalm? Nowhere, to be sure, except in so far as you're liberating foreigners.
During the Hero Wars? Ah, different question... But in general, I entirely agree - its much easier to come up with exciting plots in Jonatela than in Loskalm.

>if you don't choose the reality of
>sorrowful RW life

Even Loskalmi have bad days, I'm sure :-)

>and don't want to play Orwell's "1984".

Which isn't an accurate description of Loskalm anyway, IMO. At least, not until the Hero Wars, it isn't...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic