[forwarded from HWlist] Kolat & Umath

From: Bwbfc_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:36:04 EDT

Joerg Baumgartner
<< Me:
>> That said, I don't see any normal Storm God bother to procreate
>> without taking company.

=20
>> Rather than about Urox's mixed nature, we ought to be puzzled=20
>> about Kolat's pure spirit nature... >>
=20
 Jerome:
 > Doesn't it make it difficult to consider Umath as a "normal"=20  > storm god to begin with?
=20
 Umath set the pattern which the normal storm gods followed, he is the  norm. Orlanth is a certain form of deviation from this norm... >>

And Kolat another... :-) Say, after Umath was killed, his winds dispersed=20 into the 'spirit world' (as a kolating PoV, but they wouldn't use such words= =20
when=20
telling the Umath myth to other Heortlings, who are told the spirit world wa= s=20
reached through the Whistling Cave or somesuch). Kolat's conquest of the=20 spirit world justifying his spirit nature?

I was tempted to have him spawned by Umath without any company,=20 because of the mythical context of Kolat's shaman status and a bit in=20 ST p. 199, =A73, where Umath's anger bursts through the roof.=20

Jerome

End of Glorantha Digest