A shortage of spirits?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:25:26 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Me> There is nothing intrinsically inefficient about animism.

>As long as there is a spirit ecology equal to its task in supporting a
>spirit-contacting population, I think that animism is among the most
>efficient methods of contacting the Other Side.

I do find the notion that an extension of infinite power into mortal reality to be in available only in limited amounts to be odd. Do Praxians worship Spirits because there aren't enough Gods and Godlings to go around? Do Orlanthi worship Gods because there aren't enough spells? Given that these rationales sound comic, I don't see why such limits should be placed upon Animism.

The main reason why people worship Gods, Spirits or Saints is due to the local magic places which are similarly attuned to the same spiritual forces. The Orlanthi are theists because their local magical geography is inhabited by godlings they can use. That is why the lands of Carmania and Safelster are mixed in their magic despite the military superiority of the Malkioni way.

--Peter Metcalfe