Consistency... Darjiin Animism...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:41:31 +0200

Peter Metcalfe:
>>In the GRAY, the magicians of the Darjiinians are described as
>>Shamans (p96).

Ttrotsky:
>True enough, but in the rather more recent source of G:IitHW, Surenslib is
>described as a 'great goddess' and Manimat and Yestendos as 'gods'.
>Given that the book quite specifically does not use those terms to
>describe, e.g. Waha, Kargzant or Pamalt, the intent seems fairly clear.

I couldn't agree more about the impression I got from both this source and Greg's article about cults in the Lunar Empire from the latest issue of Enclosure.

However...

Mark Galeotti

>As will become clear in ILH-1, the Darjiini are an animist culture, through
>and through.

Hmm. So Emperor Manimat _was_ a Darjiin usurper?

>Thanks to the inclusive powers of the Goddess, though, there can be
>cross-over - while Yestendos is a spirit, for example, his magics were used
>by the hero Vargar to build and power the moonboats, and Vargar is
>worshipped as a god.

So who is doing things the wrong way, Vargar, or his worshippers?

To bring this back to a useful alley: so Vargar is a god who takes some of the penalty for using a spirit's magic, sharing the load with the Goddess.