Re: Malkionism

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:41:52 +0100

>If Reason can be used to perform magic, then Logic could also be
>>used likewise.
>

>So you are telling me that the Malkioni serfs can master reason or logic to
>an extent that they are able to influence the mundane world?
>
>Let me see, does this work with Thought and Instinct as well?
>
>How many non-wizard Malkioni are able to do perform personal magic stemming
>from the Sorcery World?

It depends on the individual sect. Generally speaking though, 'quite a lot of them' is my understanding. They may not use grimoires, but they follow the saints and get sorcerous magic that way.

>>>Because the Seshnegi and the Stygians are mixed worshippers. They
>>>worship their gods and spirits as gods and spirits unlike the Aeolians who
>>>worship their gods as Saints.
>>

>_My_ original draft had them worship their gods as gods, just naming them
>saintly.
>

>Which is a method I still see many Safelstrans and occasional peasant
>Loskalmi or Seshnegi use as a cop-out for unapproved practices.

I don't really see most Loskalmi or Seshnegi doing this - its too far outside their normal frame of reference, and by and large they don't even know any 'gods' as anything other than demons. The exception would be those people who are quite happy to practice 'black magic', and who wouldn't refer to the things they worship as saints - the Rokari Inquisition becomes a little more interesting IMO, if there really are witches out there, and some of them really are a bit scary. I don't see anything like it among the Loskalmi at all - they successfully purged themselves of all of that, and a closet Loskalmi theist would be even rarer than a Sartarite Heortling sorcerer, IMO.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic