Magical economy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:35:16 +1300

Peter Metcalfe

> >I do find the notion that an extension of infinite power into mortal
> >reality to be in available only in limited amounts to be odd.

>So each tradition has unlimited resources?

Potentially yes. I don't see anything in Glorantha to indicate otherwise, let alone single out animism for limited resources.

>The links to the transcendent present in any given area of Glorantha
>is limited, and can be depleted, as the Dead Place or tapped Brithini
>or Vadeli lands testify.

The topic happened to be places where there is not enough magic for one tradition to use so people switch to other traditions. Neither the Dead Place (which sucks all magic equally) nor Arolanit (in which magic can still be performed) are examples of this.

>Magical economy (the like of
>"nobody will use misapplied worship/other magical means because it is
>inefficient" I have heard so often when my ideas about Aeolians were
>ridiculed) seems to dictate this.

Reference? What is being argued is whether there is a limit to animistic, theistic or sorcerous resources within an area. And I don't know who said the statement that Joerg thinks he hears so often.

>Certain limits of available magic are placed on any system.

Reference to the limits of availability?

> >The main reason why people worship Gods, Spirits or Saints is
> >due to the local magic places which are similarly attuned to the
> >same spiritual forces.

>This doesn't really explain how the Seshnegi could prosper in Pendali
>lands.

Because there had been sorcerous magical places on the Seshnegi peninsula since the Golden Age.

> >The Orlanthi are theists because their
> >local magical geography is inhabited by godlings they can use.

>The key here is "they can use".

No, the key phrase is "local magical geography is inhabited by godlings".

>They take whatever works best, and persist
>under animist conditions as well, though with less advantage over rivals.

What animist conditions do the Orlanthi persist in?

--Peter Metcalfe