Re: Humakt's Mother?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:06:06 +0000

> Peter Metcalfe:
>
> > As Ian Cooper pointed out on the HeroWars list, the Bad Uncles of
> > the Brothers are from (KoS p64) are: Genert, Kalt, Lodril, Dehore
> > and Magasta. There's one for each of the five brothers - Vadrus,
> > Urox, Other One/Ragnaglar, Humakt and Orlanth.

Simon Phipp
> Can we assume that each uncle is the father of one of
> Umath's Sons? These are the Bad Uncles, after all, what if
> the Good Uncles were the fathers of these sons?

This does put the term "uncle" into a very strange position. Umath usually is referred to as male...

> Yelm, as Aether's son, is also an uncle - "Wandering Sun,
> Jealous Uncle" may be a Yelmalian greeting but I think
> clearly represents Yelm - as is Dayzatar.

Yep. At least through this greeting's myths, the identification of Yelm as the Evil Emperor uncle is made.

> > Ragnaglar could be related to Lodril because the latter is
> > associated with Sex. Lodril's father isn't known although
> > Yelm is said in HonEel's Wane Chonicle to have a
> > step-mother. Perhaps Uleria?

> Lodril's father is surely Aether?

Surely, yes. I think Lodril's mother is who remains anonymous, but for good reason: The three plus one celestian Aethersons were thought into being, they were pure and undiluted fire until their actions tainted them somehow.

> Urox, or Storm Bull in an earlier incarnation, was originally
> stated to be the son of Umath and Mykih the Beast Mother. I
> was under the impression that Ragnaglar was also a son of the
> Beast Mother, but that was just an impression.

A similar case can be made for Erlandus the Ram God of Yolp myths, and given the inclusion of the Andins in the Storm Tribe Orlanthi peoples, it seems the old theory of all the Orlanthi harkening back to some beast totem (see also Vadrus and the Sorcerers, in Anaxial's Roster). Migratory beast herding is the common cultural nominator in all the storm peoples in Gloranthan myth and history, with only the feline connections of Orlanth through Yinkin and, just slightly possible, Greymane's lion peoples, as exceptions. This is not at all different from the Storm Bull and his sons, the Founders, riding down from the slopes of the Spike. (They were spirits, though.)

Another weird theory:
Kolat as pure spirit, Urox as defiantly spirit/god, Vadrus clearly as god, Humakt almost as mystic, but with his western background just as possible sorcerous (after all, spiritual death and sorcery are believed to go hand in hand), Ragnaglar the failed mystic... and Orlanth the dragon? Or Lord of the Center?

This makes Dehore Kolat's uncle, Genert Urox's uncle, Lodril Vadrus' uncle, Kalt (the unknown - sounds to me like a Mostali entity, to balance Genert's aldryami connections) againt to Humakt, and Magasta (lord of the center) to Orlanth.