Productivity of Hunting / Gathering etc....

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:03:19 +0900

From the questions of Efendi.....

In KODP, heortlings mix hunting / herding / farming. How about stability of Productivity....
And how about the possibility of change by the decrease of games and harvest...not temporal shift?

Efendi taught me even in RW, there was a possibility that the decrease of number of giant beasts (like Manmoths and Giant Rhinos...?) incurs the development of farming...and the productivity of hunting / gathering greatly owed to gathering rather than hunting, he said hunting is much depend on randomness and not so profitable....I can't agree him without enough information about the possibility of survival of carnivores and humanity (though omnivorous by nature) in winter time and primitive art of hunting. http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/florafauna.html

(Efendi always tends to show his bent to Civilization and Literacy as Lunars or Malkioni...matter of preference.....) The process of gradually change: Farming < Herding < Hunting might not applied to Non human Empire like EWF....though I can't say anything.

And Magic, in KOS, Report of Orlanthi (I don't have english edition...), there might be more number of Kolati and Serdorosans in more primitive life style...(Or it is the remnant of RQ days....I remember Sartar and a Kolati fought fiercely in KOS.) And the status of Far Point (See John Hughes' TarosKarla...etc.) IMHO, it is difficult to change from RQ to HW simply by change from spirits to daimons....shamanism might be more popular in older age....though rule system doesn't teach us so, HQ might teach us the distinct difference between Theism and Animism..... http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/spirits.html http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/taroskarla.html

In Gwandorling Saga, Yinkini seems to be animists rather than theists....Kamoar, it contradicts to Storm Tribe. http://www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha/campaigns/gwandor/characters/kamoar.htm l
In Greg's myth, Yinkin betrayed his father and Serpent Brotherhood (IMG, they lived near of modern Beast Valley, and they helped Drolgard and Hidden Kings. And later it helped founding EWF.) and severed from Spirit World.

Peter:
> >Do Praxians worship Spirits because there aren't enough Gods
> >and Godlings to go around?

Joerg:
> I'd say that the Praxians inhabit a spirit-ridden waste where there aren't
> enough Gods and Godlings around, yes, but mostly this is so because the
> Praxians have aided their spirits to take hold of the magical energies
> there. They did so because the resources were there, and they could
harness
> them

Peter:
>> Glorantha does not follow the real world model of
>> animism -> organized religion -> philosophy.

Joerg:
>It offers these in a conflict of worlds instead. Pamaltelan animism has
>been refined from great urban structures (Tishamto) into structures that
>work better (modern Doraddi). Fonrit is a reversal of this development,
>and is using "alien" methods.

Certainly, there are many complaints to official set, but discontents cannot suggest better comprehensive alternative Worldview.....

End of Glorantha Digest