Sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 16:34:13 +1300

Terra Incognita:

>1 How do grimoires look like?

Grimoires range from ancient musty tomes to richly illustrated bibles. They are massive in size and usually chained to a lectern to prevent thieves.

>Are there any difference between that of
>Wizards belonging to church and that of Sorcerers who only care with Logic,
>Praxis and Doxis? (Maybe Efendi expects a sort of free symposium between
>wizards, like very enlightened area like God Learners or modern Sog
>City....)

Although the principles behind the grimoires are very different, the spells within can be understood and duplicated to some extent or another. Only when you go to magics from a higher realm such as secrets, saintly blessings and whatever sorcerers might use do problems arise.

>2 What kind of materials are used in standard grimoires aside from Blue Book
>of Zzabur made from skins of enemies? Is it parchment or papyrus?
>(How about the saturation level of true "paper" books?)

Parchment would be more common than papyrus IMO due to the climate. But the more impressive grimoires would be used from some material from the higher worlds.

>3 How can characters use the same quotations from Abiding Book
>blessings /cursings as well as spells? (See HW 1st p.199)

By being trained. Spell-casting is magic taught by the Wizards and Sorcerers while invoking blessings/curses is liturgical magic. Passages of the Abiding Book can be understood in both senses and more than a few Malkioni are capable of casting spells and blessings.

>How far ordinary clergies understand the sentences?

They can perform effective magic as a result of their understanding.

>4 What is the Pure Form of Sorcery Spells in sounds and pronunciations?
>Is it pure sounds of Runes? (See HW 1st p.191)

Associating Runes with Sounds is one of the things that the Kachasti did when they made the first languages. I imagine that most forms of sorcery is performed using primal elements of Malkioni speech (although this does tend to give spells a Harry Potterish look). The more powerful sorcerers among the Brithini prefer to think the spells into action.

>5 How could use St. Mardron Rokari under Bailifes Dynasty (who didn't think
>Hrestol as a prophet and think he is a mere saint) Crusade Blessing?
>(See TotRM #13 Greg's writing about Hrestol and Arkat)

Perhaps the Crusade was ineffective and the wizards upon researching the reasons why found that it wasn't a true blessing?

>6 How about the flexibility of each sorcery spells in comparison with
>theistic feats or animist fetches?

Sorcery spells are inflexible.

>7 If I want concrete example like a sort of situation when sorcerers ravaged
>a church and stole their Grimoire. How can they download alien creed spell
>links from adept plane? Or should they try to go Saint Plane? (See
>Narrator's Book p.27)

Spells can be accessed on the Adept plane and don't require a philosophical bent to be useful. I think it's a matter of simply reading the text, understanding
what it does and then creating the spell within one's own node.

>8 What will it occur in future Illiteracy Era in Malkioni Areas? I know you
>don't know it, but if sorcerers cannot read anything....? (KOS)

I don't think the Illiteracy curse affects Malkioni lands (or even Pelorian lands).

--Peter Metcalfe