Malkioni tidbits

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:46:57 +0000

> TI, Efendi & others about Malkioni. If you have some free time
> recently, would you let me ask some fundamental questions....?

> 1 How do grimoires look like?

>From the fact that the Book of Zzabur has a cover, I thinkk we have to
expect folio format rather than scroll collections.

The Lhankor Mhy alchemists have scrolls, though.

> Are there any difference between that of Wizards belonging
> to church and that of Sorcerers who only care with Logic,
> Praxis and Doxis?

Sure, church wizards would include all kind of religious introductory and protective formulas and enblems. Pure logicians might even reduce part of their material into algebraic formulations or, in the case of alchemy, cooking recipees.

> (Maybe Efendi expects a sort of free
> symposium between wizards, like very enlightened area like
> God Learners or modern Sog City....)

Debates using "applied logic", aka magical duels?

> 2 What kind of materials are used in standard grimoires aside
> from Blue Book of Zzabur made from skins of enemies? Is it
> parchment or papyrus?

I'd go for parchment, since the West is not a riverine culture. The Tadeniti started with scratching symbols into the dirt, though, and Zzabur used copper as writing material for the report which described the Dawn.

> (How about the saturation level of true "paper" books?)

Unlikely for grimoires, IMO, since wizards tend to go for life-prolongation magics and hate to see their own grimoires deteriorate in their hands.

> 3 How can characters use the same quotations from Abiding
> Book blessings / cursings as well as spells? (See HW 1st p.199)

Possibly in the form of "since A is X and B is Y, then A thaumed with B will result in X effecting Y" or similar formulaic gibberish.

> How far ordinary clergies understand the sentences?

Within the limits of their literacy and philosophy, I suppose. The Abiding Book doesn't use an obvious code. Every encrypting would be of cabbalistic nature, behind ordinarily readable sentences.

> Or they simply read without understanding of
> passages as many RW Feudal European catholic priests?

To the Malkioni, the Abiding Book is in the written form of their own language (excepting oddities like Aeolians or Valkarists).

> 4 What is the Pure Form of Sorcery Spells in sounds and
> pronunciations? Is it pure sounds of Runes? (See HW 1st p.191)

> Is it like a sort of Machine Language if I make comparison
> spell links to Sorcery Plane with downloading files in
> Internet Access?

Maybe more like operating algorithms which I have to transfer into the grimoire while refreshing themselves, i.e. some sort of "alive".

> 5 How could use St. Mardron Rokari under Bailifes Dynasty
> (who didn't think Hrestol as a prophet and think he is a
> mere saint) Crusade Blessing?
> (See TotRM #13 Greg's writing about Hrestol and Arkat)

Saints can bestow blessings. Prophets don't necessarily offer magic.

> 6 How about the flexibility of each sorcery spells in
> comparison with theistic feats or animist fetches?

IMO "Light two lamps" would be different from "Light a lamp", although most of the routines could be inherited.

> 7 If I want concrete example like a sort of situation when
> sorcerers ravaged a church and stole their Grimoire. How can
> they download alien creed spell links from adept plane?

They have to hack into the Grimoire, beat its encryption.

> Or should they try to go Saint Plane? (See
> Narrator's Book p.27)

To do so, they would have to use the grimoire as the gateway, correct? (After all, it's not their node on the Saint Plane.)

> 8 What will it occur in future Illiteracy Era in Malkioni
> Areas?

All we know about the Illiteracy Era is that it occurred around Cliffhome. The area of effect may have been limited, similar to the "Orlanth is Dead" sphere of effect.

> I know you don't know it, but if sorcerers cannot read
> anything....? (KOS)

They'd have to spend a lot of time on the Adept and Saint planes. Provided these still exist.