Malkioni magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:25:42 +1300

Terra Incognita:

>Me> Although the principles behind the grimoires are very different, the
> > spells within can be understood and duplicated to some extent or
> > another. Only when you go to magics from a higher realm such as
> > secrets, saintly blessings and whatever sorcerers might use do
> > problems arise.

>Secret, I forgot it.....in a sense, I began to think secret is something
>alien to Brithini View to the Logic and Metaphysic to Objective Worldview.

Brithini and other atheist sorcerers have secrets, the Tap magic which some of them use is a good example. Zzaburite secrets are not intrinsically illogical, just extremely difficult for the human mind to understand.

>And secret is connected to something transcendental mystical existence.

(Orlanthi) all religions have that connection and I don't think the Brithini are any exception.

> From your posting file of First Age Tradetalk mailing list:

> >Virtues are the most common form of Malkioni magic now. They are little
> >known in the Hero Wars for they have been superseded by saintly magics.
> >They are inferior to Spells for they rely on reason rather than logic. Thus
> >they cannot be used to affect other objects or peoples. They are not
> >Blessings for they originate from the mind of the caster rather than a
> >saintly intelligence. Hence the support of the congregation cannot be used
> >to support them.

I might have to revise that once I see the Common Magic rules in HeroQuest (which I didn't know about when I wrote the above).

>Though I don't know enough about the difference between reason and logic.

Reason and Logic are different levels of thinking in Glorantha and I was basing the above on Revealed Mythologies p18.

>Subjectivity and Objectivity? If Hrestol firstly induced the "Virtues", does
>it mean that Hrestol was contaminated by Subjective Truth of Mysticism as
>his method of exploration in Hero Planes from the POV of Brithini?

Hrestol did not introduce the Virtues - they existed for a long time before he did. I intended the Virtues to be what the ordinary Brithini use instead of spells (which only sorcerers use) and blessings (which only monotheists use).

>Wizards and Knights. Joy of the Heart and Solace of the Body?
>http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/malkioni/knights.htm
>http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/malkioni/wizards.htm

Solace is an aloof and perfect heaven that exists far away from mortal affairs. Joy is a descending attribute of the Invisible God that can be summoned to bring comfort to his worshippers. All Monotheists believe in Solace while Sorcerers do not. Many Monotheists also believe in Joy (the Hrestoli) while others do not (the Rokari).

>It seems that I don't completely understand the sentence of Zzabur's words
>at the top of Revealed Mythologies.

That's good because Zzabur didn't teach Solace (despite what that article says).

>And I can't understand where Zzabur had lived before Brithos disappeared
>from Middle World.

He lived in Brithos in the same way that Vith lived in Vithela, a location easily pointed to on the map but one has to be barking mad to think about travelling there.

--Peter Metcalfe