Re: Oriental Zzaburite Heresies

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:46:00 +0000

>I try to induce more heretical Whitewolf Mage source....

Not really a good analogy for Gloranthan sorcerers, I fear. Barring a few extreme nutters, the Malkioni/Brithini philosophy is almost diametrically opposed to that of WW mages.

>>If the God of Carpentry gives you access to a Secret,
>> there's no reason why the Patron Saint of Lost Causes (for instance)
>> shouldn't, so far as I can see. Indeed, the Perfecti Secret is likely to
>> be something largely useless on the mundane plane,
>

>As Dayzatar secret?

Yes.

>Below is maybe the example how Malkioni (TI) misunderstood and warped the
>original text of Brithini (Peter), as how RW christians and buddhists warped
>the original teaching of their religion founders.....

In Malkionism, as in RW organised religions, much is based on the interpretations and expansions of the original prophet's work by later commentators and religious leaders, certainly.

>>> (Orlanthi) all religions have that connection and I don't think the
>>
>> Brithini are any exception.
>

>I know Brithini use magic, but how about "religion"? They are atheists.
>Maybe for them, "Religion is the opium of the people." as Marx said.

They don't worship, no - at least not in the generally accepted sense. That doesn't mean they can't gain access to something transcendent - in their case through living according to the strict rules of their society. Their 'Secret' could well be their immortality, of course...

><<The Independent Zzaburi
>
>Descended from the Brithini, but no longer following their laws, the
>independent Zzaburi orders practice all manner of magics, without the
>restrictions that would be imposed by a moral and God-fearing church. Some
>Zzaburi, such as the fire warlocks of Loskalm, have a mystical and almost
>religious belief system, but most are rigidly secular in their outlook. >>
>
>Though I don't know anything about fire warlocks of Loskalm (maybe they are
>"excommunicated" warlocks of Sog City?), from my warped eyes, certainly some
>sorcerers fell to the error of mystical concepts like God Learners.

IMO, yes. These are not Brithini sorcerers, of course, but a separate group with their own motives and beliefs which the Brithini would find generally quite heretical. The fire warlocks are also wholly my own invention and not part of Generally Accepted Glorantha in any way (though not, IMO, incompatible with it). They may eventually appear in Sorcerer Knights... or then again, they may not :-)

>Sorry,
>maybe he just simply mentioned about Brithini and non-Brithini.....

The 'Independent Zzaburi' are non-Brithini, yes. Although some of them claim more or less direct descent from the Brithini.

>>> Solace is an aloof and perfect heaven that exists far away from mortal
>>> affairs. Joy is a descending attribute of the Invisible God that can
>>> be summoned to bring comfort to his worshippers. All Monotheists
>>> believe in Solace while Sorcerers do not. Many Monotheists also
>>> believe in Joy (the Hrestoli) while others do not (the Rokari).
>>>

>>From Brithini POV, I simply thinks Solace was that Zzabur's secret weaponry
>he could access. And we know living Malkioni cannot access to Solace or Joy
>except of their obscure images in some of their religious practice. (If the
>setting of old RQ still works.) Solace is a sort of Heaven that RW
>monotheism teaches I suppose. But if someone can go there, he also can
>destroy or abuse there, I think.

The kind of person that's capable of getting in isn't the kind of person who'd have any desire to, I think. Although as the Hero Wars approach, the old rules may no longer hold...

>>> My personal belief is that the reliance on Logic is the great failing of
>>> the Brithini. Logic, in my Glorantha, can only be used within its own
>>> framework. Any attempt to relate it to the real world is doomed to
>>
>failure,
>
>>> since I do not believe that Glorantha has an inherently logical basis.
>>
>This
>
>>> leaves the Brithini as a group of aging philosophers, endlessly proving
>>> that the arrow cannot hit the tortoise, without ever once being able to
>>> test their argument and realise their basic axioms are not true.
>>

>Maybe. YGMV. But if Brithini is right and others are wrong...?

Indeed; I see no reason to suppose the Brithini are any less 'correct' about the universe than any of a number of other cultures. After all, they really *are* immortal - it isn't some delusion on their part.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic