Pavis Walls

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:03:56 -0800

At 05:27 AM 12/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Richard Crawley" <RichC_at_SYPTE.CO.UK>
>This may be a somewhat mundane question for these hallowed halls but =
>does anyone have a view on how large are the blocks of stone that make up
the =
>old walls of Pavis? Did Flintnail and co cut up the Faceless Statue into
>standard sized units (and if so how big?) or did they fit in whole =
>chunks at various sizes and shapes as conditions deemed appropriate?

I imagined them to be large slabs, stuck upright into the ground to go underground a pretty good distance as well as above ground. Note that they were never knocked over due largely to their depth. I believe more accurate dimensions are given elsewhere, but they are wide enough to be a large parapet, and a smaller crenelated wall was raised along the top to protect people standing there. Note, too, that the size of the blocks is not commensurate with the size of Mr. Statue, and that the volume of stone gained this way was far more than the volume of said Mister. This is coupled with the relatively small organ stones that are known (why is that kidney stone so big, though?) to cause materialists to wonder either how could it be, or to decide the worshippers and mythic historians are liars.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>