(Are Gloranthans Human?) AKA Yet another uber thread

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:39:29 +0100

Trotsky :

> > > I disagree. People in the past (and, indeed, a great many today)
> > are > > quite convinced that their Gods exist. They couldn't care
> less, and > > wouldn't act any different, whether or not the evidence
> that > convinced > > them (e.g. rain falling from the sky, the sun
> rising regularly, > etc.) > > would also convince us. > > > This is
> getting onto dangerous ground so I will say just > that "Knowing"
> your god exists (with a big K) and knowing your god > exists are two
> different things. I was using the big K.
>
> To answer this properly would move into Digest territory (and I'll CC
> this reply there for that purpose), but in summary: no, they aren't
> two different things.

I agree.

> > Real humans, now and in the past, may know their god exists, but >
> purely on faith.
>
> I disagree.

Absolutely. Gnosis and faith are two different things, as are faith and knowledge.

If you _know_ that God exists, his existence ceases to be a matter of faith. Please note that the Pauline explanation of faith purports to provide knowledge of God via faith to those unfortunate enough to be removed from the gnosis (the gnosis of the Apostles frexample).

Julian Lord