Re: Did the Egyptians change?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:56:35 +0000

Greg:

>I think that the Egyptians, subject to their own history of invasions,
>climate changes and new ideas, likely underwent some significant changes in
>human attitude at well.

Throughout the 2,000 year history, no doubt they did, but not, I suspect, at the rate that we do. For instance, there was a TV program in the UK a few years back where a family had to go live in a house set up as it would have been in 1900 (I believe there may have been a US version, too). I'd bet they experienced more of a culture shock than a 10th century BC Egyptian peasant would have done if forced to live like an 11th century BC Egyptian peasant! More to the point perhaps, the original claim was that historical real-world societies, presumably including Ancient Egypt, changed more rapidly than Gloranthan ones. It seems to me that in *their* history of invasions and new ideas, the Dara Happans (say) have changed about as much over the last 1,600 years as Egyptians did over the same time period. Quite likely more so, once the Lunars turned up!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic