re: Carmanian March / Agincourt

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:44:21 -0000

TI wrote in his analysis:

> http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/carmania/bullshah.htm
> Check: Agincourt (Battlefield of 100 War between France and
> England for the wealth of Flandre.) See Shakespeare's "Henry
> Fifth"? English Longbows defeated French Crossbows and Knights.....
> And that is why I am "embarrassed" by Nick's writing about
> Carmania for he drew too much Europeanized parallel....

The parallel with Agincourt was one of Greg's, derived from our correspondence while I was writing the Carmanian History. I understood him to mean that, whereas with Agincourt the English won a battle but ended up losing the Hundred Years' War, the "Carmanian March" campaign was a defeat for the Carmanians in the short term which meant they ended up ruling over all Dara Happa.

This "parallel" is hardly overly European; any more than your comparison between the roles of the Japanese Emperor (under the Shogunate) and the impotent Dara Happan Emperor (after the Carmanian conquest) could be "too Japanese". In particular, it has *nothing* to do with longbows, crossbows, knights, Frenchmen, Henry V, etc.

Cheers, Nick