Re: Are Gloranthans Human?

From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:55:50 -0000

Donald Oddy

>Alternatively creating a child is a heroquest in itself and the details
>of that heroquest determine the child's attributes. ... It would explain
>why pre-marital sex is acceptable in Orlanthi society (without the
>heroquest a child will not be born)

Fortunately it appears that this particular heroquest, like many others, is instinctive. I'm reminded of a comment (by Karen Armstrong, an author) that Homo Sapiens might be better classified as Homo Religiens (Religiosus?).
We instinctively anthropomorphise everything around us. Anyone who has shouted at, or even physicaly abused their car or computer when it has failed to behave as expected or desired, has felt the primeval certainty that the apparently inanimate world has an agenda of it's own.

Simon Hibbs