Puzle Canal conundrum

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:17:54 EST

My game is set during the founding of Pavis and I have just got to an episode involving the planning of the Puzzle Canal. The Heroes are agents of Lord Pavis, while the maze builder, Lord Labrygon, has employed a cartographer and architect to make magical plans. Lord Pavis has sent the Heroes to amend, adjust, persuade to change, the plans slightly so as to subtley make the maze part of Lord Pavis's plans.

Anyway, looking for reasons for the various grottos, islands, rooms so that their was a basis for the manipulation I came up with the idea that the Canal was a minor version of the oceans, with grottos for some of the majhor deites, parallels between the different depths of the oceans, and the canals themselves representing the moving currents of the oceans.

Why would Cradlerobbers want a model "ocean"? Because that is where the Cradles were going, so this "fake" ocean might confuse the magical senses of the Cradle guides.

Here are my comparisons:

Representing the depths of the Oceans:

High Seas                   "Outer"
Middle (Niiadic Sea)            "Elf"
The Deep                    "Deeper"
Unreachable waters, the Well of Wisdom,     "Hidden"

There are: 7 outer caverns for each merrace: Janelosp, Egrankot, Gornaloth, Zabdamar, Diendemos, Por Janks, Dwerulan. (mermen ancestors)

1 long island       "dry", food, or perhaps all dry land.

5 elf caverns   Golod, 4 beasts who breed with Tholaina,
1 elf grotto        Murthdrya

7 deeper caverns Nelat, Triolina, Mirintha, King Undine, Tholaina, Phargon, Wachaza,
1 island (Robcradle remnant? could be Jrustela? or other islands?) 1 Tanien's grotto Tanien/Robber?

2 hidden caverns Framanth, Sramak

1 painting room     Daliath
1 Sea Slaver        Magasta, or perhaps his Pool.

Not sure why I am posting this, I think I want either some reasons that it just doesn't make sense, or confirmation that it is more than a lucky coincidence that so many sea mythos beings seem to fit.

Keith Nellist.