Re: Puzzle Canal

From: Ian T <pelgrane_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 11:25:02 +1100 (EST)

>>My game is set during the founding of Pavis and I
have just got to an episode involving the planning of the Puzzle Canal. The Heroes are agents of Lord Pavis, while the maze builder, Lord Labrygon, has employed a cartographer and architect to make magical plans. Lord Pavis has sent the Heroes to amend, adjust, persuade to change, the plans slightly so as to subtley make the maze part of Lord Pavis's plans.<<
IIRC the Puzzle Canal wasn’t constructed until after Pavis’ time. More precisely, IIRC in P&BR it states that Labrygon didn’t even arrive in Pavis City until after Pavis had done to the otherworld.
Of course it might not be quite so precise, so there is always scope for saying that Labrygon was in the city (even for a planning visit) whilst Pavis was around.
IMO Pavis doesn’t cajole or wheedle or persuade. He is King of the City, worshipped by the citizens, and soon to be a God! IMO if he wants someone to change their plans, they bloody change them, bloody quick! :) I think your game depends on things happening during the time Pavis is around, otherwise I would suggest that you set this little debate later so that Labrygon is negotiating with Pavis’ son Daris. Then some persuasions etc might happen.
IMO everything that happened (especially at major epic magic level) in Old Pavis is an intrinsic part of Pavis Grand Plan. If history suggests differently then history is wrong. Even at the time people may have assumed that the Puzzle Canal was just a coincidental feature. Even Labrygon might have not fully understood his connection to the mythic fabric of the city. Nonetheless that connection was there and was huge. (IMO)
>>Anyway, looking for reasons for the various grottos,
islands, rooms so that their was a basis for the manipulation I came up with the idea that the Canal was a minor version of the oceans, with grottos for some of the majhor deites, parallels between the different depths of the oceans, and the canals themselves representing the moving currents of the oceans.<<
I would suggest more that the Canal was a metaphor for the whole world, and that it is way bigger inside than the walls can account for. Therefore the info supplied in P&BR is woefully incomplete, and within the Canal are places representing all of the elements, not just water. If more people got off their boats and headed along the little windy paths they might find tonnes more. (If the catoblepas doesn’t zap them first of course) :(

Ian

http://movies.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Movies - What's on at your local cinema?