Did "primitive" people "know" that gods exist?

From: Mittmann, Mike <Mike_Mittmann_at_affymetrix.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:30:07 -0800

> Subject: Re: Are Gloranthans Human?

As a counter argument, I have this quote form a first century Roman:

        From the monument of Marcus Antonius Enculpus:

	Do not pass by this epitaph, wayfarer,
	but stop, listen and learn, then go.
	There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,
	No caretaker Aecus, no Cerberus dog.
	All we dead below
	have become bones and ashes, nothing more.
	I have spoken you true, go now, wayfarer,
	Lest even though dead I seem to you garrulous.

So, maybe many people "knew" that gods existed, but at least one "knew" that they didn't.