Third Eye Blue

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:20:22 +1300

Antonio:

> I’m trying to know more about the Third Eye Blue people [...].

> The Third Eye Blue people was originated among the herders in
> Tastolar highlands in the mythic ages.

As a style point, I find it better to avoid naturalistic origins if they occur in mythic times. Thus the Heortlings are not the result of an agricultural revolution during the Storm Age but the sons of rebels against the Golden Age Empire. Likewise play up their magic. Did the Third Eye Blues forge Great Balls of Fire and Thunderbolts during the Gods War?

Secondly there was far more in Fronela than herders. There are also the Vadrudi (violent storm worshipping barbarians), the Kachasti (archaic Malkioni), the Altinae (anti-chaotic demigods), the Hsunchen, beastial Orlanthi, the Grotarons (three armed elephant hunters), the Green Elves and finally the Blue People (aquatic Malkioni - related to Waertagi).

AFAIK the Blue Eyes looks like a magic learned from the Blue People (who have blue skins) so the 3EB may be related to them or it could just be a secret that they picked up.

Another point: the 3EB were a lot bigger in the good old days, being described as Giants at one point.

> The First Ancestor received the First Metallurgy Revelation after
> the fall of a tin meteor. First Ancestor mixed tin with copper
> to create the Statue of the Bronze God (Gustbran?)

I think in light of the sole piece of evidence (the God with Silver Feet), the "Gods" of the 3EB are named after a metallic feature rather than being known as all-round metal.

Secondly, I think it better if the Bronze God (or perhaps the God with Bronze Bones) formed by the stone from heaven was the First Ancestor of the 3EBs rather than being merely made.

> The Tastolar men founded a civilization centered in Oral-Ta
> and they extended their power for all Fronela (or that is
> the legend).

Oral-Ta is a troll civilization. A possible name for the 3EB homeland is the Mountain of Metals (which is mentioned in the legend of the Halfbird in Wyrms Footprint).

> They fought the hsunchen easily with their bronze weapons and
> armor,

Minor nitpick: their closest allies - the Uncolings of Tastolar

More importantly, the 3EBs are not known for being great fighters now, instead prefering others to work for them. Why? Perhaps they relied on massive brass guardians to fight for them during the Gods War? No longer being able to make any more (but having a few corroded guardians hanging around the Mountain of Metals just for show), the 3EBs are forced to rely on human henchmen in modern times.

> but they found powerful inhuman enemies: the Winter Forest
> elves and the horrible trolls of Valind’s Glacier and the
> Black Forest.

Minor nitpick: the Black Forest did not exist until the Syndic's Ban. A major enemy not mentioned is the Mostali who were active during the Gods War.

> For defeating their enemies, the Second Ancestor pilgrimed
> to the Nidan Mountains and in his quest he received the
> Second Metallurgy Revelation. He stole mostali secrets and
> awoke his Third Blue Eye in his forehead.

There's a tension here between the sacred nature of his pilgrimage and the vulgar nature of his theft. People normally do not retreat from the world in order to steal somebody else's secrets. Yes, the 3EB are accused of stealing from the dwarves, but it might just be a coincidence.

A possible solution for their source of Iron might be the Meteor of Doom that smashed into the Mountain of Metals. More importantly IMO is the nature of their 3EB. It might be that the 3EB having degenerated (their ancestors were giants with bones of bronze, they now are now much smaller with plain old bones) had lost their original gift of understanding the metals. How to replace this lost gift?

IMO a possibility might be that the 3EB gained the secret of the third eye from the Blue People, since they have blue skins. Whether the 3EB sold themselves into slavery, brought the secret with weapons of war, or made an alliance against a common foe are all valid possibilities.

> Since then, Third Eye Blue tribe are a sorcerous people,
> but they practice a strange form of sorcery (non-written
> grimoires?). However, they are fond to use mixed magics
> (theism or spirit magic alongside with sorcery).

I think that the "grimoires" of the 3EB are the actual metals. Thus they learn smithing "spells" through intense study of a metal through their third eye.

As for their mixed magic, I think they cast non-smithing magic through metallic knucklebones that they carry with them all the time. The powers of these knuckebones is the same as their God of that metal - thus the silver knucklebone is used for trading magic aftyer the God with Silver Feet.

> They recognize the Invisible God (Del) and a great number of
> spirits and deities. Their religion is found mixed with that
> of the malkioni of the places that they travel through, but
> they do not always attend regularly to the religious services
> imposed by the Abiding Book.

There are plenty of Malkioni that won't have anything to do with the Abiding Book (the Carmanians, the Aeolians and many Safelstrans) nor do they feel compelled to mix in with other Malkioni of the places that they travel through. Thus if the 3EB did not mix in with other Malkioni during religious services, they would be less suspicious than if they did.

 --Peter Metcalfe