Are Gloranthans Human?

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 08:41:37 -0800

At 05:38 AM 1/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Mittmann, Mike" <Mike_Mittmann_at_affymetrix.com>
>> Subject: Re: Are Gloranthans Human?

>As a counter argument, I have this quote form a first century Roman:

Nice quote.

> From the monument of Marcus Antonius Enculpus:

>So, maybe many people "knew" that gods existed, but at least
>one "knew" that they didn't.

The Neoplatonists (of Roman times) knew the gods existed, but not as the giant people that are popularly presented to be the gods of ancient times. A lot of people were very much able to distinguish between the literature of the gods, being allegories and funny stories; and the archetypal and impersonal Powers. Many people believed that gods existed, but that worship of them had little effect. Sort of like the modern concept of Gravity being a god, or Time being a god.
And, by the same token, a lot of people understand the gods to be very real internal or mystical forces. The Rain God was not as important as, say, the Power of Love.
And a lot of people, like Marcus there, just refused to believe anything their senses did not tell them.
This is pretty hard for a lot of modern people to understand since we are generally taught that only the scientific (materialistic, rational) method of thought and recognition is "real."

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc.
P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527 (510) 524-7619 Publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>