Alkothiad and the End of Siege, Emperor Karvanyar

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 04:58:31 +0900

Lunar Empire
_at_Report
_at_Seleric Verses
_at_Alkothiad
_at_Karvanyar

_at_Report

I regret for my delay of reply. I am busy recently. And I read some old Glorantha digest archives between Martin and Nick.....Arkat again killed his old army and recruited new one from his new allies.

Thank you for your comment, David, Martin, John and....Greg about Carmanian warfare, well, Carmanian history cannot be applied to RW Iran history straightly.

As a simple report, I already added my translation of Martin's "Wooden Bull" and "Recordkeeping of Alkoth" by Harald Smith. If Martin didn't intend to let me do so, please teach me.

_at_Seleric Verses

If I have a chance, I want to translate Chris Gidlow's "Seleric Verses" as the best of Lunar Spirit....aside from Greg's original stories about Greya. (And I will be very envious to the participants of Glorantha Con 8...it seems very rare occasion for Gloranthaphiles as far as I read the schedule plan,) I know Chris didn't always followed canon (or Greg didn't follow Megacorp...like Imperial Presidium (Soviet Union?) in Tales #16) .I don't know well about the relationship between England and California.

Anyway, Chris "translated" it from New Pelorian, so it might lost its original rhymes and meter, apparently it hints Seven Mothers and its activity....please teach me if you think I missed something.

<<The Seleric Verses: by Krishnan Varlee. This novel is more condemned (for blasphemy, obscenity, and sundry other crimes) than read; its author has 'disappeared', and cannot be found. You hear from fellows of the Academy that it is actually a rather good book.>>

_at_Alkothiad

"What is Alkothiad?"

"It is an epic between Carmanian Warlord Shah Haran the Great and unconquerable City of Alkoth during the last days of Three Generations of War."

"I know, in the reign of Emperor Kumardash and Khorviramaka (around 1085-1095), but there is not enough mention in Fortunate Succession of "Mountain War" ."

"But Alkoth did never fall to the Carmanian Army as the similar City of RW Asia Minor, as you know. Though it costs greatly both sides,,,,,"

"The trickery of Wooden Bull didn't work well to the fanatical berserkers of the City of Hell, I know. But I can still find some similarity with Troy..."

"But the RW cycle of troy legend told me that akhaeans must have clear to many conditions before they could subjugate the city, like stealing the ancient statue of Athena, removing the base stone of the Gate....maybe carmanians simply failed to do so."
http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/TrojanWar.html

See some mythic images of Real World...... http://fantalov.tripod.com/

_at_Karvanyar

 This Drama was firstly played in the Amphitheater of Haranshold, 2nd Wane supported with the great architect, Iphigios. But it lost the prize by the tragedy of "Jannisor and Sable Queen".

 "O, people of Ever Solar Empire, hear the tale of Karvanyar, tragic Emperor, grandfather of Three Brothers, the Lord of Pure White Ignorance and Dragonbane! Listen to the Tripolis still shines under the heavy burden of the glory of Ancient Days!"

  Casts
_at_ Kar (Karvanyar): Son of Urvanyar, Dragon Slayer and True Heir of Phoenix
Throne
_at_ Dragon Sun: Monstrous Emperor of Dara Happa, Immortal EWF Overseer of
Peloria
_at_ Sothenia: Illegal Daughter of Dragon Sun, Tragic Heroine
_at_ Urvus (Urvanyar): Fallen Prince of Denesiod Dynasty, Blind Beggar
_at_ Halkon: Evil Southern Barbarian Noble, Right Hand of Dragon Sun
_at_ Karina: Mother of Karvanyar, Wife of Urvus the Beggar
_at_ Sarenesh: Son of Karvanyar and a priestess of Oslira

  Mobs
_at_ Jarra: Low Caste People of Dara Happa, especially in Henjarl "Mud People"
_at_ Sycophants: Senatus of Ordanestyum, Toga Men, representative of local
Imperial Domain and nobles with only minor political power
_at_ Carmanian Knights: Helpers of Karvanyar from West
_at_ Sable Riders: Helpers of Karvanyar from East
_at_ Digijelms of Blue Moon
_at_ Pentan Warlords
_at_ Wyverns

  Gods
_at_ Yelm: Emperor of Universe
_at_ Antirius: Guardian of Imperial Blood and Ruler of Justice
_at_ Buserian: Scribe and Star Seer God of Yuthuppa, Imperial Magistrate
_at_ Deshkorgos: Monster Man, Enemy of Lodril and Ruler of Fourth Hell
_at_ Shargash: Dara Happan God of Underworld and War, Red Planet. God of Alkoth
_at_ Kazkurtum: Yelm's Shadow
_at_ GanEstoro: The Dark God of Carmanians

Stage 1: Under the Bridge of Seven Saints of West and East Raibanth, circa 111,900YS in the Spring Annual Rite of Murharzarm and Nestendos

 Under the Great Bridge, as annual ritual, many slaves and war captives were bound in the middle of stake and rope. For the sacrifices of River Serpent, on the upper river of Raibanth, already Lodril and Shargash waited the Serpent coming. Kar staked in the middle of the River

 Sothenia: I don't know why I was so fascinated by his young appearance, but so it struck my heart that though I know he is an enemy of my father, Dara Happan Emperor, and the Leader of Golden Dragon Society, I cannot help recovering his consciousness when he was nearly drowned. For I am also a prisoner of my father on the gorgeous prison of Anaxial Dynasty Tombs.

 Jarra: And we are your faithful followers though we know our True Goddess is not always friendly to the flow of Oslira. Because we know you are graceful as our mother goddess and kind for you knows how are to be oppressed.

 Kar: I think my father, Urvanyar, managed to escape the clutch of the Monstrous Emperor when the Overseer of Yuthuppa betrayed him and tried to sell my family. But the Golden Wyrm could not see him for it robbed him his heart and his eyes. It brought on its own misfortune it could not find the lost regalia what my father hid in the secret tomb. So I am happy though I will die here and I know never true Dara Happa will rise again.

 Sothenia: Wake, you don't die yet.

 Kar: I know True Empire will never rise again but True Sun and Every Man has their Fire in their own heart, as my tutor Dayzatarian taught me. Though the Water is very cold and I cannot see True Yelm over my head. I can still

feel relief. But wait, who are you? Who recovered me with your kiss as if you were a daughter of Oslira, Beautiful Watery Nymph?

 Sothenia: I am not such noble birth. But don't ask me my origin, it is not important now. But I wanted to help you when I found your fatalism on your face. The true heir of Dismanthuyar....why did you abandone your empire?

 Kar: I don't know why you know my lineage if you are not a daughter of the River. But I cannot do anything but I trust you now, it seems all of captives who was caught with me all dead now. You asked me why I gave up hope? No, but I know Empire of Murharzarm is no more materially. For Others succumbed the Empire and all Pureness already left this world. I cannot bear this filthy.

 Sothenia: But your father is still not dead, as you helped his escape, you are obedient to your father as true Shargash. Why did you do so? If you are so of the principle?

 Kar: I am not so firm to my principle as you point out, but where can I find my power against the Monsters if you can help me to return Yuthuppa?

 Sothenia: I will help you for I know you already got help from the Stream of Oslira, subjugated Nestenda. Dragon Sun's power is very strong and his power conquers every parts of the world. But I can find many blind spots of his Energy, as he is also an incarnate of Solar Energy as many emperors.

 Kar: But Ordanestyu forbid many of Esoteric Arts to reach power easily. Do you truly believe such power can be obtainable without using such Dark Powers?

 Sothenia: See East of Hungry Plateau, Sable Riders don't care the authority of their Precious Treasure for they came from distant lands. See west of the Poralistor, where Brass Armored Warriors dominate and Sorcerers rules their castles. You can forge your sword in their smithery if you ask their help. Do you remember why Yelm took hands of his wife, Dendara?

 Kar: But....why do you help me so much? Now I trust you, but I cannot understand my instinct.

 Sothenia: I understand you well, for I replaced your cold pureness of Buserian with the passion of Lodril. And I love you.

 Jarra: My Mistress, we help him to return Yuthuppa. Though we feel some uneasiness from this man, we help him as far as he doesn't betray our trust.

(Snip)

Stage 3: Raibanth, Dragon Sun's Lair in the Palace. Autumn Time Circa 111,905YS

 Dragon Daughter helped several times Karvanyar to build his resistence power in the half independent power of Ascetics of Yuthuppa. (For Dragon Sun doesn't want to intervene this most Sacred City of Dara Happa needlessly...)

 Sothenia: He is young and determined and doesn't want to know what occur between I and he. He is cruel without intent and I am too weak to resist his agenda... I know I should NOT do it....for I know it will lose his love for each time I try to the tenet and web of my father's Golden Dragon Society...each time some parts of my humanity lost. My father recently watch me carefully, but doesn't say anything to his slaves and subjects. For if I can reach his aganda, that time is I lose all of his love and humanity. Now I lost half of my body lost with the serpentine feature and scales. But his subjects are not so talented to Draconic Consciousness and more concerned to worldly influence....

 In the Chamber of Broken Ordanestum, Halkon talked with sycophants of Empire and Golden Wyrm, Emperor of Dara Happa

 Halkon: By that guilty, I bring a charge against your daughter, your Majesty. For I have a proof that she has contacted several times with the rebel of false sovereignty. Named Karvanyar, the rebel master of Western Soulless Atheists and Eastern Beast Nomads.

 Dragon Sun: I hear your words. But I confirmed that his insistence is not faise. He is a true heir of Denesiods. Although I can deny his sovereignty for I has inherited more noble birth and true Dara Happan tradition through Ten Tests (declared through great his latern jaws.) I don't abdicate my throne to him.

 Sycophants: Our Emperor's words are always wise and noble.

 Halkon: Then, do you want to tolerate such treachery for your rightful reign under your long jaws for your beloved daughter did so? Southern Gods of Eye never be pleased such indecisiveness.

 Sycophants: (Silence)

 Dragon Sun: I confined her in the dungeon under the wave of Oslira for she was designed to betray me and already got too much penalty by that betrayal. But I understand what you want to do. So I have a solution, I will make a marriage contest for her as Yelm did for his rightful bride. Then the winner will be my successor of my House and the next challenger of Ten Test for I doesn't have any son.
 Sycophants: Your Majesty, that is truly in the case of Tradition!

 Halkon: (Grinned) But you are immortal and never need to abdicate your throne to mere mortal man like Karvanyar....Your majesty, I will prepare for the contest, as far as I can catch him in the severe race.

 In the Dungeon of Dragon Daughter, Sothenia chained in the watery tunnels locked magical means.

 Dragon Sun: My daughter, your disease will not be healed without some magical method. For you lose your humanity by deepening both your draconic perception and your attachment....you cannot retain it unless you may sacrifice your love, by killing and eating his flesh.

 Halkon: Your highness, if he won the contest, you will give him the Throne of Bijiif, for you will realise only she can survive if you show true loyalty to your father. And you can retain your beauty with your lover...inside of your body.

 Dragon Sun: If you don't want to such horrible death to your lover, you can stop to help him in the contest, allowing him to die trying to obtain your hands. Monstrous Scaled hands....

 Sothenia: And I don't have any chance to inform this contest is a trick to him.Yes, my father, I don't want to lose my beauty in such foolish play.

 Halkon: You speak lie. But I don't care.

 Sothenia: (To herself) I know Halkon is truly an evil and cruel man so I have no wonder that he came here with such suggestion. But what my father wants to say? I can help him in the contest...for I know it beyond Halkon.

  Later Dara Ni Revolt against Lunars by raising attempt Old Light

  Alliance of Karvanyar and River Oslira against Dragons (A daughter betrayed her Father)

  Tragic Love of Dragon Woman and Poor Woman's son

   Friedrich de la Motte Fouque. Undine. (1811).     http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=3714

   Hans Christian Andersen. (1836)
    http://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html

  Prince Urvanyar killed Howling Dragon in the battle field of Zeranos

  Dismanthuyar (Denesiod Dynasty) died in Yuthuppa

  Prince Urvanyar and Poor, Ugly but good Woman (loves Simple Enznestu Game FS p.40) Lost his Heart (Berneel: Important for Golden Dragon) and Eyes (Vision:Antirius, Orthodoxy of Dynasty) to Dragon Sun   Dragon Slayer Karvanyar (See also FS p.74,79)

  Yuthuppa: Stronghold of Anti EWF (Half Independent against Youf for Religious Importance?of Dayzatar Cult?) Annual Rite of Sacrifice (Young Man Karvanyar) to Beautiful Oslira

  Underworld of Raibanth against Deshkorgos and GanEstoro

     (Against the Evil of Carmanians and Saird in the River Oslira)

 "He was noted for his ruthlessness, brashness, for he was the only person ever to give notice to Yelm himself."

  Fanatical, Rash and sometimes clumsy to the Method and Object.

  Quarter of Poverty

  The Foundation of Dragon Land in West Raibanth?

  Enthroned (Very Magically) in Yuthuppa   910-945 (913 Liberated Raibanth)

  Every Man a Sun Movement
  White Sun Lords with very difficult condition: Few Elite Heroes can obtain   (Yelmgatha and Nysalorian (Rufelzan) Method to Heroquest, banned by Ordanestyu for God is not Human, (New Ordanestyu: Sarenesh, son of Karvanyar))

  Sable Generals, war gods of Carmania (Support of Shah Samandar, later Nadar rejected the alliance for he wanted to battle with Westerners rather than Dragons)

  Enemies from North Korer and Horse Nomad 925-945

  920 Alkoth Liberated

  Tragic Hero lost friends (Alexandoros?) lost lovers (Dragon Woman, later, Oslira Priestess) Solitude, Small Domain with many Outside Enemies

  Killed by his own son, Sarenesh? (Similar to Chinese King of Zhao, Carmanian Praetorian Guards.