Orlanthi exogamy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:05:59 +1300

Torbjoern Andersson:

> I was under the impression that Orlanthi are exogamus (sp?) i.e.
> they always marry outside the clan. But the Harvest Race of the
> Greydogs described in TotRM#18 implies that the Queen and King
> most likely are from the same clan and might even be from the
> same bloodline. In the Garhound most participants come from
> outside the clan but Caryllon(sp?) might be from the Garhound
> clan.

> Are these marriages exempt from the rule that you have to marry
> outside the clan?

IMO these marriages are not exemptions (i.e. nothing wrong with them) but deviations (i.e. something wrong) from the rule. Because these clans still find the particular arrangements of the harvest rites important (or else they wouldn't be doing it), they sometimes have to put up with the jeers and taunts of their genetically diverse neighbours.

I note that both clans live on the physical borders of Orlanthi societies and normally have far more important things to worry about than being squeaky clean with incest taboos.

 --Peter Metcalfe