Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #318 - 13 msgs

From: lee watts <jleewatts_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:02:14 -0500 (EST)

<<Yeah, but you may have surrounded that with the trappings of Theism -- sacrifies, ceremonies, and such. Think about Animism for a moment, typified by ecstatic worship -- dancing, drumming, intoxication, exhaustion, dehydration, etc. That sounds a lot closer to conception or childbirth to me. An eight or twenty hour labor surely puts a woman into a different plane of existence.

I'll refrain from making a parallel on conception for fear of impugning anyone's sex life. ;-)

Chris Lemens>>

This view tends to assume that a spirit only entered the body during childbirth. Therefore, deadborn children are vessels into which a spirit was not enticed or welcomed?

I can see how conception would be a biological process, and perhaps the midwives act as the quester to bring a spirit to live in the new born body.

Some earth cultures had the practice of moving preganant women to another common housing area, away from the main village. I plead my ignorance about Gloranthan cultures.

Lee Watts,
Richmond, VA.

A man who can read but doesn't is no better off then a man who can't. - Mark Twain