Yelmic Chastity

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:56:32 -0800

At 05:36 AM 1/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com

>In a message dated 19/01/03 10:37:41 GMT Standard Time,

><< As a result of this
> various human societies have evolved, discovered or constructed ways to
> frame or contain the power. These containers are the rituals and rites of
> heroquesting. >>
>
>I do not really understand what is being said here. We know what happens
when
>the power is framed or contained: life continues for the society in general
>(even if changed profoundly for the individual) but what are you suggesting
>happens to those people for whom this power is improperly contained and
burst
>into their conciousness uncontrolled. Do they go mad, become Heroes, or
>Monsters, or does society change slightly with each failed ritual.

Any of those might occur, though the last is least likely.

>As Dara Happans fail their rites to remain chaste and pure their culture
>becomes gradually more sexually liberated.

Not necessarly. First, the chastity of the Yelmites (not the Dara Happans; Lodril and Oria have a different view of this) does not require no sex, but only allows sex under certain conditions (to have children). Think of the Puritans. They had sex. But their influence was so pervasive that it still interferes with the morality of today, centuries later.

>As individuals catastrophically
>fail they become either insane, insatiable, sucumb to perverse outlets for
>sexual gratification: the unleashed "power" goes off in the wrong direction.

Or become Lodrilites, "fallen " celestial beings.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc.
P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527 (510) 524-7619 Publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>