Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #322 - 8 msgs

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:08:32 -0800 (PST)

Donald R. Oddy, replying to Julian Lord:

JL:
What we *do* know is that the cosmos was organised according to the rules of a primal Cosmic Duality (or Multiplicity) : cosmic sex is an attribute or devolution of this original separation and rejoining.

DO:
Do we? The implication is there but the actual mechanism is undefined in everything I've read. KoS actually says that Grandfather and
Grandmother Mortal were created by *all* the gods which is nothing like sexual reproduction, not even an enormous orgy.

JL:
>From one POV at least, it is *exactly* like an
enormous orgy.

DO:
Not from the point of view of the mechanics of sexual reproduction. However big the orgy a baby is created by one sperm fertilising one egg.

Me: Just a couple points here. First, in defense of Julian's completely wacko ideas, Julian is saying that the mechanic is "sex" -- not the merger of sperm and egg. I'd say, though, that sex in this instance is a label that can be applied by anology.

Second, I agree with Donald's more general point. There is no in-world Gloranthan source that I can think of that says any original duality engaged in sex. If Julian is saying that this is the way that many humans understand the interactions of the duality, I might agree. But I would disagree if he said it was universal. I might agree that some God Learners thought it was (or should be) universal. If I read Shannon's elfish materials right (and as I think Julian alluded to), the duality there did not engage in anything that humans or even elves would recognize as sex.

Chris Lemens