Re: Akem and Loskalm

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:25:12 +0000

> 1) Peers of King Gundreken: (from G: Introduction to HW)
>The Grand Duke of Westpoint
>The Royal Justiciar
>The Royal Treasurer
>The Chairman of Farmers
>The Ecclesiarch of Southpoint (Gaiseron)
>
>What are their roles in their position? (Efendi)

The Duke of Westpoint is the head of the Loskalmi military. The Royal Justiciar has legislative powers, maintains the non-financial bureaucracy and oversees local government. The Royal Treasurer controls the financial bureaucracy (e.g. central collection and disbursement of taxation). The Chairman of Farmers has an advisory role, but has no governmental powers of his own (since only nobles rule). The Ecclesiarch is the head of the Church.

>>BTW, what is Westpoint? Is it a city of West Frontem? (As Eastpoint,
>>Northpoint and Westpoint) Or is it located in the land that submerged by the
>>Blast of Zzabur after the Gods War (TI)? Or something religious term for the
>>House of Einherjar (Efendi)?

It's an old feudal estate from before the Ban. The title of Duke is now purely titular - he has no longer has an actual association with the lands whose name he bears.

>>As you may know, in Troll Pack Uz Lore Book, there is change between 2nd Age
>>coastline of Fronela and that of 3rd Age, if it was written intentionally,
>>it enlarged by Snodal's action or that of others?

Before the Ban, the Troll Woods was a small, forested region, inhabited by Uz. When the Ban lifted from this region, the Uz had all disappeared and the Kingdom of War was revealed instead. The thing is... the Kingdom of War was a lot bigger than the Troll Woods had been - a whole region of plains and river valleys had appeared out of nowhere! That's why the coastline has changed: the Kingdom has pushed out the surrounding lands to make room for itself. As of 1620, nobody in Glorantha yet knows how this might have happened. It is the beginning of the Hero Wars...

>>2) Lord Spiritual, Lord Temporal and Lord Militant, Triangle (Law Rune?) of
>>Loskalm Idealist Church:
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/malkioni/idealist.htm
>>
>>What is their roles in their society before the thaw of Syndic's Ban? (And
>>why did they need strong military force without any external enemy?)

They didn't, but they had one anyway, because Malkion said that is how the perfect society is constructed - it must have warriors. During the Ban, the knights kept themselves skilled by competing in increasingly elaborate tournaments, and by adventuring in Dilis (which was not separated from the rest of Loskalm by a wall of mist).

>>Efendi wondered how they systemized tax revenue and political system, he
>>tends to suggest more decentralized feudalistic community, but I think it
>>likely be more centralized magico-political system and a sort of communist
>>society.

It has been pretty much centralised since the Dream. There is substantial local government, which has some tax-raising powers, but its overseen from the central bureaucracy (via the Royal Treasurer). This is very different from the usual Malkioni system, such as that in Seshnela, which is decentralised and feudal.

>>Efendi questioned the change of Snodal and Siglat made for their kingdom.
>>He thinks that after the fall of God Learner Empire, there was relatively
>>strong political power dynasty of Gwainric for he sometimes shows patriotic
>>attitude to his "Kingdom" and his "independence day" should be dramatic. But
>>I doubt it for the Peter's statement above about Shakespeare.....

Before the Ban, Loskalm was already a powerful kingdom with a strong line of kings, but it was feudal and relatively decentralised and disorganised. The whole society was re-structured as a result of Siglat's Dream, and is now neatly hierarchical and centralised.

>> 4) What is your image of Black Hralf the Weasal? I think he was a strong
>>barbarian leader from East as Vargandar the Unconquerable Knight in Gbaji
>>War.....But Efendi thinks Black Hralf is a name of group, not personal
>>name......

AFAIK, he was a powerful hsunchen tribal leader.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic