Re: Black Hralf <ouch!>

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:24:50 -0800 (PST)

TI:
> >> 4) What is your image of Black Hralf the Weasal?

Trotsky
> AFAIK, he was a powerful hsunchen tribal leader.

Peter:
> I imagine Black Hralf as a Vadrudi warlord. FWIW I
> do not believe Varganthyr to have been a strong
> barbarian leader, but closer to those Loskalmi
> rebels that fought alongside Black Hralf.

Not that it was really based in anything, but in Sandy Petersen's game, we were recently thrown back in time and had to slay Black Hralf <ouch>. It turned out that Black Hralf <ouch> in our game was a Ygg's Islander (think Viking on steroids). Sadly, it turned out that he was also the great-something uncle of one of our ancestor-worshipping party members from the Ygg's Isles. Worse still, Black Hralf's <ouch> takeover of Fronela was part of creating "Greater Trond" (Trond being the home island of some of our party). And, yes, the fascist overtones were everywhere, as he was trying to make room for him Trondlings by wiping out everyone along the Janube. So, it was really heart-wrenching to kill him, since we were attempting to avert the later destruction of Trond by an evil wizard type that we stil have to track down. We nearly joined the dark side.

Anyway, we chopped off his head and buried it, safely we thought. By odd coincidence, this little thing called the Kingdom of War had sprung up in the exact same spot once we got back to our own time (by the Rumpelstiltskin method). Worse still, he expects us to bring him back sometime soon, and our Trondlings are a little afraid to talk to their ancestors until they do.

Also, saying Black Hralf's <ouch> name caused you to lose hit points. Fortunately, we knew that his real name was Black Einar, which doesn't hurt when you say it, but does attract his attention.

Chris Lemens