Fronelan Hsunchen prehistory

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:05:50 +1300

Kevin P. McDonald:

>I am trying to understand the pre-Dawn history of Fronela, and would
>like to know when the Hsunchen peoples arrived there. I have looked
>around, but have not found a good source for this info - any ideas? I
>assume that they arrived late, maybe during the Greater Darkness? Does
>anyone know where I can read a general overview of Hsunchen pre-history?

Alas it's murky.

Beastfolk are in the Seshnegi Isthmus during the late Storm Age (Revealed Mythologies p12). Northeast of them is the Guardian Forests while southeast of them are the Greenwoods. On the eastern shores of the isthmus is the city of New Malkonwal while Brithos and the Neliomi sea lie to the northwest. Since they are well south of Fronela, it seems they migrated during the Darkness itself.

But I doubt it's that simple.

The motif of the migrating Hsunchen stems from the Basmoli that moved from Pamaltela to Genertela. However the Pralori mythology in Anaxial's record has no awareness of such a migration (although the Uncolings do migrate northwards during the Darkness) while the existence of Genert punches a large hole in the God Learned equation that Spirits come from the South.

So I'm quite happy to have most of the Fronelan Hsunchen being natives.

--Peter Metcalfe