Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #334 - 5 msgs

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:13:52 -0500

Peter Metcalfe writes:

>So I'm quite happy to have most of the Fronelan Hsunchen being
>natives.

Agreed - and the Vadrus vs the Logic Tribe myth from AR gives a possible explanation for this, as pointed out to me by Terra. My only problem with this is that none of the (admittedly sketchy) info that I have seen mentions beast folk in Fronela before the Dawn. I haven't found any tales of Fronelan struggles between westerners and beast folk as there were in Seshnela/Ralios.

There is plenty of evidence for Storm worshippers in ancient Fronela, though. Followers of Ragnalgar are shown in northern Fronela on a Gods War era map in Uz Lore, and invasions of Worlath's followers are mentioned in RM.

So... I guess I could be sold on "orlanthi" in Fronela converting to animism during the Darkness, especially after Vadrus is killed. Perhaps the origional Fronelan animists were people from the Vadrus vs the Logic Tribe myth who never heard (or believed) that the war was over. During the troubled times that followed, their ranks expanded. Add to this some hsunchen migrating north from Ralios during the Darkness/Greater Darkness. An orlanthi origin might help explain why the Rathori are so culturaly "advanced" (for hsunchen). Not that centuries of interacting with the city-states of Dona couldn't account for that also.

On the other hand, do all of the hsunchen in Fronela speak languages that are related to the rest of Glorantha's hsunchen tongues? That might undermine the "converted orlanthi" theory. Or are there some that speak a theyalan dialect?

~Kevin