Re: Malkioni castes

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:42:19 -0000

T.I. wrote:

> I am happy to receive your complaints and additional information=20
> should be added to these charts, especially titles and social=20
> structures.

Generally excellent, though I'd always prefer to read an article rather = than
a table. Maybe add linked URLs to your sources, where available? That = said,
on a quick read-through:

VADELI
Blue Vadeli are sorcerers ("wizards"), not lords.

WAERTAGI
What makes you assume they aren't immortal?

OLD HRESTOLI
If this is meant to be related to my "Old Seshnelan Chivalry" sect = (Castle
Coast), then caste mobility is somewhat more open than your writeup = makes it
sound.

NEW HRESTOLI
"Soldier" is *almost* in the Farmer rather than the Knight class. Not = sure I
agree that Knights are the social elite, when there are two classes = above
them.

SYANORANS
More info. on the Arrolians (hybrid Lunar Malkioni) in Tales #20: they = have
seven classes (of course), no problem with sexual equality or "caste" mobility, and no idea what "Knighthood" is all about. But then, they're = a
bunch of pacifist lefties...

VALKARISTS
I seem to recall there is only ever one member of the Valkarist "Lord" caste. This may be a snippet from Sandy which we left out of the game = and
sect writeup as irrelevant to HtWwO: the *impression* outsiders get is = that
the sect is ruled by wizards, even though they know this isn't the case.

CARMANIANS
"Knighthood" got kinda lost along the way -- the Carmanian Dualist = Heresy
knocks Chivalry for six, while the Hazar caste is in effect "knightly" = (as
they have Pelandan, Brolian, etc. levies to do the grunt-work). But they = are
familiar with the concept, although they'd interpret legends of Hrestol = as
stories about a Hazar rather than a "Western Knight" per se.

Carmanian "caste mobility" is based on the roles Lords assign their = kinsmen
to, and not personal choice. There is a limited hereditary element -- = the
Magi -- but best ignore that for now.

SAFELSTRAN
I run these with no "Lord" caste per se: exemplars from each class could become "Merchant Princes" (peasant), "Princes of the Church" (wizard), = and
"Princes" (knight). Fits the Renaissance/Machiavellian idiom I'm after, anyway. Caste structures are looser because this is a more advanced = society
than retro-feudal Seshnela.

ROKARI table: wot no Bishops? Should be

	Baron <=3D> Abbot (etc.)
	Count <=3D> Bishop
	 Duke <=3D> Archbishop (if any)
	 King <=3D> Pope

NEW HRESTOLI table: minor landholder could be "Squire", cf. Tales #13 = (or my
site (or Sandy's past posts)). Also, in the RMM account there'd be no = such
thing as a "New Hrestoli Bishop" -- these were all "Cardinals" in HtWwO.

CARMANIAN table: rank Fazzik (minor landholder) below Sirdar (middle = ruler).

Cheers, Nick