Fronelan Hsunchen

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:37:00 +1300

Kevin P. McDonald:

Me>>So I'm quite happy to have most of the Fronelan Hsunchen being >>natives.

> Agreed - and the Vadrus vs the Logic Tribe myth from AR gives
> a possible explanation for this, as pointed out to me by Terra. My
> only problem with this is that none of the (admittedly sketchy) info
> that I have seen mentions beast folk in Fronela before the Dawn.

You haven't seen information that beastfolk weren't in Fronela before the Darkness. About the only information that I can recall is the Tavari bullriders who definitely were in Fronela by the time of the flood. The only problem is that their relationship with the Hsunchen is obscure.

> I haven't found any tales of Fronelan struggles between westerners
> and beast folk as there were in Seshnela/Ralios.

The only known Seshnegi/Ralian struggles involving westerners and beastfolk are post Dawn rather than mythical.

> There is plenty of evidence for Storm worshippers in ancient
> Fronela, though. Followers of Ragnalgar are shown in northern
> Fronela on a Gods War era map in Uz Lore,

Actually that's a slander - the God concerned is Vadrus, not Ragnaglar.

> So... I guess I could be sold on "orlanthi" in Fronela converting
> to animism during the Darkness, especially after Vadrus is killed.

I don't agree with this for Hsunchenism is not a religion that one can convert to in significant numbers. Secondly the Hsunchen would have a myth of how they used to be Vadrusi etc but changed into animals yet the available mythology in Player's Book: Genertela presents it the other way around: that the Hsunchen have always been that way whereas other people have fallen into evil trickster  -inspired vices.

It's far better IMO to merely have the Hsunchen as one of the three or four major peoples of Fronela (the others being Vadrusi, Beast Orlanthi and Blue People/Malkioni). If Peloria can have the Dara Happans, the Darjiinians, the Rinliddi, the Zarkosites and the Pelandans (and many more), then I don't see why Fronela can't have more than one culture.

So Vadrus and the Logic Tribe does not mention the Hsunchen? It does not mention the Third Eye Blue or the Aldryami either.

> On the other hand, do all of the hsunchen in Fronela speak
> languages that are related to the rest of Glorantha's
> hsunchen tongues?

Not quite. They speak a language related to their animal. This language is apparently the same all over glorantha and the classic example is the Basmoli. If they don't speak their beasttongue, then they are no longer Hsunchen.

 --Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest